4/30/2010

Count your blessings

Last month I went camping with a friend. While we were out in the wilderness, he turns to me and says, "I've been thinking lately about counting our blessings. You should start counting yours, I bet you would be surprised what you have from God." I don't know why my friend said this, and assume that something in me comes across so critical that he decided to share with me this piece of advice. Regardless, I really appreciated my friend's observation. Whether he sees it or not, I do need to know this wisdom and apply it to my life. I have gone on far too long without counting my blessings.

Today I recall all that God has given me. Salvation and countless blessings in the Lord, a roof over my head, a car to drive, a solid job that pays well, a loving wife and kids, good friends, a wonderful place to live in the world, a caring church family, a peace that comes from knowing Christ Jesus, a country where I can speak and worship as I choose, money in my pocket, food in my stomach, and so many other gifts as well.

Today is a day to remember my blessings. Thank you God for all you give me. Forgive me God for acting as if these things aren't valuable to me.


2 comments:

John C. said...

Ditto Chris!
I've often said most of us would realize more peace and a much deeper relationship with our God if we just started our day by singing that "Count Your Blessings" tune that we learned in Sunday school. Unfortunately, I normally start my day with a conquer/confrontation attitude vs. the "Count My Blessings" attitude. I give you permission regularly remind me of this tendency.

Chris Johnson said...

Thanks John