5/26/2010

Just a spoonful of Jesus...

Matthew 5:6

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

I have been thinking a lot about why God isn't mightily working in our lives, like he could be. Why do we feel so spiritually weak? Why are we so ineffective? Why do we fail so often or fall into sin so regularly? There are so many questions here and often times few answers. I just want to ask God, "Where is all of this power you talk about? Why can't we move mountains? Show me this peace, this joy, this _______ that the Bible speaks of, but that seems so elusive to me." Once I'm done complaining, I often times pick up my Bible, I read a verse, I say a prayer, and then I go fast to sleep, ready for a new day of failures and frustrations.

I wonder sometimes... what if the problem is that my spirituality isn't filled with me thirsting for God deeply. Maybe I'm drinking too shallow. Maybe I'm sipping Jesus and not swimming deep in him. What if instead of picking up a gallon of God, I'm drinking from an eye dropper. I've chosen a thimble of theory, a spoonful of spirituality, or a drop of divinity, but I've forsaken the fountain of flowing water of my Lord. Why do we fail? Because we'd rather dip our tongues in God's word for a second and then spend all day long watching TV. Guess what? In the end, all we've done is show him that we thirst for television.

It's time to thirst for God! Time to drink deep! Time to jump into the fountain free and take a long, refreshing swim!

2 comments:

John C. said...

I think that you are reading my inventory.

Chris Johnson said...

haha... cool