7/26/2010

Are You Ready To Go?

I wasn't watching the clock, I was just sitting, relaxing, and minding my own business. Suddenly I looked up and my family was at the door ready. Jessica looked and said, "It's time. Are you ready to go?"

I've been thinking a lot about the parable of Matthew 25:1-13. As the parable goes, ten maidens waited for a wedding party to begin, anticipating the arrival of the groom. However, five didn't bring oil for their lamps, so were forced to leave early to buy oil, before the groom made an appearance. Anyway, while they were out, the groom arrived and shut the door to the party, leaving five of the maidens outside and alone.

As I listen to that parable, I think about the sorrow of not being ready when one's time is up, when one's number is called. We never know when God will return. We never know when our time will come. What we do know is that today is the day for faithfulness and obedience.

Are you ready to go? The clock may be ticking down faster than you realize.

Isaiah 55:6
Seek the LORD while he may be found, call on him while he is near.

Hebrews 4:7
Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.

No comments: