8/04/2010

Walk By Faith

Judges 7:2 The LORD said to Gideon, "You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her. 3 announce now to the people, 'Anyone who trembles with fear may turn back and leave Mount Gilead.' " So twenty-two thousand men left, while ten thousand remained.

My brother-in-law, Guy Stover, spoke tonight about trusting in God. I really liked the idea that he brought up about us truly trusting the Lord, even when the odds are stacked against us. Trusting him, when it doesn't seem like we should... now this is faith.

Today I read a quote from Benjamin Franklin that says, "The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason." I suppose that is what Gideon had to do when God said, "You have too many men." At some point, faith requires us to believe, even when nothing makes sense.

I guess if faith were easy, it wouldn't be faith. That's the thing about faith. It has to be difficult to work right. So, we trust, even when the light of reason has faded. Even when logic and reason have departed. Even then, we walk by faith and not by sight.

No comments: